Genuine Gemstone Face Rollers
Chances are, you’ve seen a face roller on your Instagram feed or maybe even at a friend’s house.
The little gadget is most commonly made from Jade or Rose Quartz, but as you see here in our online shop, we have them available in Amethyst, Green Aventurine, Clear Quartz and Tigereye as well. Some have two roller balls, and some look a bit like a tiny rolling pin – with rollers of varying sizes fixed to both ends of the handle just like ours.
They’re all said to offer major skin benefits. So why exactly are people massaging their faces with a gemstone face roller? And is this trend here to stay?
What does the roller do for your face?
The simple act of massaging your face with a face roller has many benefits for your skin. It may even reduce stress and release tension, just like a body massage would.
Here are some key benefits:
- Improves blood circulation in the face. Using a face roller can stimulate blood flow to the face, which can make your skin look brighter and feel firmer.
- Helps with stuffy sinuses. Some studies suggest that using this tool may help clear the sinuses. (Trusted Source) although the research is still in early stages.
- Decreases puffiness. Rolling may also decrease puffiness (like hard-to-handle under eye bags) by stimulating lymphatic drainage.
- Cools and soothes your skin. If you store your roller in the refrigerator or use a naturally cold stone like jade, it’ll cool the skin on contact. This can quickly de-puff your skin and tighten pores.
- Distributes skincare product. Rollers are typically used with an oil or moisturiser to help the tool glide across your skin. It’s said this process can deliver your product deeper into your skin.
Myths and facts about facial roller massage
There are many big claims about facial rollers.
Here we will talk about what’s actually true about facial massage, and what’s a myth about facial rollers.
- Facial massage can improve your mood: As strange as it may seem, facial massage reduces anxiety for some.
- Using a roller can contour the face. The roller can be used to drain fluid from the face, which can help to contour your face temporarily. The best way to use the tool for draining and contouring is to roll up at an angle and then push the roller downward by the ear. The process helps direct excess fluid to the lymph nodes.
- Toxins can be flushed from the body by using a roller. Any activity that stimulates lymphatic drainage, including massage or facial rolling, can be detoxifying for the body.
- Using a roller can slim the face: False. The only way to truly slim down or lose weight from any part of your body, the face included, is through nutrition and exercise. However, the de-puffing potential of the facial roller may make your face look slimmer temporarily.
How to use a facial roller
Follow these steps when using a facial roller:
- Apply a facial oil, serum, or moisturiser with lots of slip to your face. Remember – your facial skin is soft, more like the skin under your forearms, so be gentle. If you don’t have lubrication, the tool can pull or tug the skin, which may actually contribute to wrinkles.
- Always start at the lower neck and roll in upward strokes. For best results, roll up, not back and forth.
- Roll upward along the jawline toward the ear on both sides using gentle pressure. You can continue this motion all the way from the jaw to the cheekbone. Remember – not back and forth, yet in upward rolls.
- Roll from the base of your forehead up toward the temples, again in an upward direction. It’s the same gentle pull that you would use if you were using your hands to pull the skin taut and wrinkle-free.
- Roll flat over your eyebrows horizontally, which may feel especially relieving if you have a headache.
- You can also perform facial massage or facial exercises, sometimes called “face yoga,” without a roller. You can easily give yourself an at-home facial without any tools. Just remember to always use some oil or moisturiser.
How often should you use a face roller?
Face rollers are safe to use every day. In fact, some dermatologists recommend daily use for best results.
How long do you roll for?
Even if you only have a few minutes, you may still be able to get some of the de-stressing and de-puffing benefits.
A 2018 study showed that using a facial massage roller for just 5 minutes can increase blood flow to the cheeks. Using the roller for 10 minutes should be plenty. And always stop if it starts to hurt.
Types of facial rollers
There are so many facial rollers on the market, it can be difficult to know where to start.
Jade is one of the more common stones you’ll find in rollers. It’s been used for centuries in China.
Here, at Greg’s Showcase, we have the following genuine gemstone face rollers:
- Clear Quartz
- Rose Quartz
Genuine gem materials are naturally cold and will not need to be stored in the refrigerator to give a cooling sensation to the skin.
Gem materials can hold their temperature (hot or cold) for a long period of time. If you want a colder roll and are planning to use it for more than a minute or two, quartz that’s been cooled in the fridge is your best option.
Jade is a softer stone than rose quartz, so a quartz roller may last longer and not break as easily if dropped.
However, jade may not be as smooth as some of the other stones, but this added friction may be especially helpful for contouring.
Traditionally, amethyst is said to help purify the skin, and it may help to treat acne. However, research is needed to support this claim.
How to clean your facial roller
Wipe off any excess oil or product with a soft, clean washcloth. It’s a good idea to wipe it off after every use.
Use an alcohol-based wash to kill bacteria. Be sure to rinse thoroughly at room temperature..
Avoid very hot water on your facial roller or soaking it in water to stop any metal parts corroding.
Lay the roller horizontally on a clean dry cloth to dry. If necessary, use a hair dryer to blow warm air inside the rollers where the metal holder goes through.
Not only is using a facial roller to massage your face relaxing, it also has several benefits for your skin.
Gently rolling or massaging the delicate skin on your face, neck, and clavicle can help to increase blood flow, help with lymphatic drainage, and may even help to make the face appear less puffy and more contoured.